Morocco World Cup qualification sparks riots in Brussels

Morocco World Cup qualification sparks riots in Brussels

Like This Video 0 152011 rauf shola
Added by November 13, 2017

Morocco’s players celebrate after scoring a goal during the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations group C football match between Morocco and Ivory Coast in Oyem on January 24, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / ISSOUF SANOGO

Celebrations in Brussels to mark Morocco’s return to the World Cup for the first time in two decades turned violent late on Saturday, when crowds clashed with police, setting cars on fire and injuring 22 police officers.

Images on social media showed overturned, burning cars and broken shop windows in Brussels city centre as well as police trucks firing water cannons at crowds gathered in front of the city’s stock exchange.

Brussels police said that of some 1,500 people had come to celebrate Morocco’s 2-0 win over Ivory Coast, but that around 300 started to behave violently and attacked police officers and firemen called to put out burning cars and dust bins.

More than 100,000 people of Moroccan origin live in Brussels. Belgium saw an influx of Moroccan workers in the 1960s and 1970s.

Prosecutors said by Sunday morning no arrests had been made, but Belgium’s interior minister vowed to hold those responsible to account, calling the events unacceptable.

“The fundamental problem is that such events are used as an excuse for reckless behaviour and doing unacceptable things,” Interior Minister Jan Jambon told Belgium’s Radio 1.

Similar Videos

Why Doctors Are Leaving Nigeria – Nigeria Medical Association Explains

0 163500 0

The Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) has attributed poor remuneration and inadequate health facilities as some of the major reasons for mass exodus of medical doctors from the country. Dr Ekpe Phillips, the FCT Chapter NMA Chairman, said this at the

Headies changes plans, heads awards to March next year

0 175306 0

Those who have looked forward to the December date for one of the country’s most prestigeous entertainment awards, The Headies Awards, may have to wait till next year as the organisers of the award that was set up to reward

Ryan Seacrest releases statement after female stylist accused him of sexual misconduct

0 1379121 0

One of US entertainment’s busiest men, Ryan Seacrest, is the latest to be accused in the string of sexual misconduct cases happening in Hollywood.   He has been accused of engaging in inappropriate behavior towards his former wardrobe stylist during

No Comments

No Comments Yet!

No Comments Yet!

But You can be first one to write one

Write a Comment

Your data will be safe!

Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
Required fields are marked*